DELTA CHI HISTORY
Initially founded as a professional law fraternity, Delta Chi was founded on October 13, 1890 at Cornell University. On April 29, 1922, Delta Chi became a general membership social fraternity, eliminating the requirement for men to be studying law, and opening membership to all areas of study. On April 22, 1929 Delta Chi was the first international fraternity to abolish "hell week".
SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY ΔX HISTORY
The Law Years: 1899 - 1922
The first Syracuse University Chapter was chartered on May 23, 1899. The Chapter was the fruit of the Syracuse University Law Club which was established just a year earlier. All friends, the eleven members of the law club sought to create a strong brotherhood between themselves and establish a foundation for the advancement of future gentlemen.
The Eleven Founders looked to the new and prestigious Delta Chi Fraternity for help in realizing their dream. The Fraternity was only 8 years old at the time, but it had already established 10 chapters across the northern United States and Canada. The Eleven Founders spent a year talking with "XX", or the governing body of the fraternity, and meeting brothers at various conventions, and by May 1899 they were taking the first steps towards turning their dream into a reality.
They were initiated by the national fraternity president, M. H. Irish at 8 o'clock in the afternoon at the St. Cloud hotel, which used to stand at the corner of W. Fayette and Clinton Street. Although it was customary at the time for professional fraternities to take men belonging to other brotherhoods, the chapter quickly resolved to never take "double fraternity men" or initiate honorary members. They were determined to gain prestige through their actions alone, and they believed that every Brother should only have the welfare and fraternal spirt of Delta Chi at heart. The men of Delta Chi made it their utmost goal to foster friendship and fraternal spirit.
The chapter began to thrive after several years of growth, and by 1905 the chapter held a house 512 Crouse Ave and excelled fraternity sports competitions. Brother Curtis played as a fullback for the Syracuse University football team under Brother, and Hall of Fame coach, Frank J. O'Neill. The Syracuse Chapter basketball team dominated the fraternity sports and became the champions of the SU's Greek Letter League several times in the early 1900s. Brother Hefferon returned to SU in 1907 to serve as Head Varsity Baseball Coach, with Brother James Ryan as team captain and Brothers Grace and Tillman as starting players on the team.
2001 - Present
The latest colonization at Syracuse was in 2001 by Jason Dvorkin, Jason Larson, Aaron Roy, Jim Latter, Adlai Hurt, John Muro, Scott Abbott, Nelson Law, Adam Hardgrove, Chris Jaikaran, Peter Mihalick, Brandon Savage, Mike Kaplan, Andrew Giles, HR Granger III, VJ Jayraman, and Kenny Wind.
The most recent colonization received its charter in 2004 and the chapter is still going strong today.